|Decision science and information systems||Full Time Faculty||PhD (Aston Business School), MS (Res.) (IIT Madras)|
- Research & Publications
- Training and Consulting
Prof Magesh Nagarajan is a faculty member in the Decision Science and Information Systems Area at IIM Nagpur. Prior to joining IIMN, Prof Nagarajan has taught at Coventry University (UK) and Goa Institute of Management (India). He worked as a researcher in University of Southampton (UK) and United Nations University (Germany) applying simulation modelling and analytics in public sector problems. He has also worked with IBM Ltd., Bengaluru as an Applications Programmer. A member of the Operational Research Society of United Kingdom, Operational Research Society of India, International Association of Computer Science & Information Technology, and the Indian Society for Technical Education, Prof Nagarajan has to his credit an array of research papers and conference presentations. His interests lie in the area of Applied Operations Research, Big Data Analytics, Operations Management, Agent-based modelling, Simulation, Supply Chain Management, Data Science, and Quantitative Methods.
- Evaluating an urban food security scheme’s delivery effectiveness
- A behavioural simulation study of allocating evacuees to emergency shelters
- Knowledge management, Knowledge Sharing Intentions and behaviour in ICT sector
- Location analytics of smart mobility infrastructure.
- Resilient Electric vehicle charging network infrastructure expansion: Mind the gap between capacity and charging need
Funding body: EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account fund, University of Southampton, UK.
Grant received: £11500. Grant period: 1-Jul-2016 to 31-Mar-2017
Dr Pawan Jagannadha Tamvada (PI, University of Southampton), Dr Magesh Nagarajan (Co-I), Dr Mili Shrivastava (Co-I, Bournemouth University)
- Data to Disaster relief: Text data processing system for crowdsourced disaster information
Funding body: Coventry University Summer Research Internship.
Project lead: Dr Magesh Nagarajan (Coventry University).
Duration: 2 months. (26 May 2017 to 25 July 2017)
Fund value: Stipend for employing research assistant (20 hours/week).
- Sikder, S.K., Nagarajan, M., Kar, S., and Koetter, T., (2018). "Cellular Automata-based Estimation of Energy Consumption Density: A case of Dhaka city", Urban Climate, Elsevier, 26(2018), 10-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.uclim.2018.08.004 (SJR 1.236)
- Manouseli, D., Anderson, B. and Nagarajan, M. (2018) "Estimating Scenarios for Domestic Water Demand under Drought Conditions in England and Wales”, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply, IWA publishing, 18(6): 2100-2107. https://doi.org/10.2166/ws.2018.035 (Impact factor 0.674)
- Manouseli, D., Anderson, B. and Nagarajan, M. (2018) "Modelling domestic water demand during droughts in temperate climates: a review of evidence and a framework for future development”, Water Resources Management, Springer, 32(2), 433-447. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-017-1818-z (Impact Factor 2.871)
- Nagarajan, M., Shaw, D., and Albores, P., (2012) “Disseminating a warning message to evacuate: A simulation study of the behaviour of neighbours”, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 220, pp. 810 – 819, (Impact factor 3.297).
- Nagarajan, M., Shaw, D., and Albores, P., (2010) “Informal dissemination scenarios and the effectiveness of evacuation warning dissemination of households -- A Simulation study”, Procedia Engineering, Vol. 3, pp. 139-152, Elsevier Publications. (Cite Score 0.74)
- Mohan S and Nagarajan, M. (2004) “Dependability of Irrigation and hydropower production during drought“, Journal of Indian Water Resources Society, IWRS, Vol. 24, no.3, July 2004, pp 01-11
Teaching case for Business School
- Nagarajan, M., Balasubramanian, K., and Tamvada, J.P. (2018). “Ecotricity: An optimal investment decision for electric highway expansion”, Ivey publishing, Product Number: 9B18E006 (Category: Management Science).
Books and Research reports
- Shaw, D., Albores, P., Anson, S., Kailiponi, P., Nagarajan, M., Tissington, P., and Hart, T., (2011), “Evacuation Responsiveness by Government Organisations (ERGO): Final Report”, submitted to European Commission, ISBN 978-1-85449-4863.
- Shaw, D., Albores, P., Anson, S., Kailiponi, P., Nagarajan, M., and Tissington, P. (2011) “Evacuation Responsiveness by Government Organisations (ERGO): Evacuation preparedness assessment workbook”, submitted to European Commission, ISBN 978-1-85449-4917.
- Sikder, S., Nagarajan, M., Herold, H., Meinel, G (2019), "Quantitative assessment of public sector e-mobility infrastructure development: A spatial perspective in the case of Germany", 21st European Colloquium on Theoretical and Quantitative Geography conference, 5-9 September 2019, Mondorf-les-Bains, Luxembourg
- Anderson, B., Manouseli, D., and Nagarajan, M (2017) “Estimating scenarios for domestic water demand under drought conditions in England and Wales” at International Water Association (IWA) Efficient Conference 2017, Bath, United Kingdom. 17 - 19 Jul 2017. 9 pp.
- Nagarajan, M, Tamvada, J.P., and Shrivastava, M., (2017), "Resilient EV charging network infrastructure expansion: mind the gap between capacity and charging need", Presented during an ESPRC project workshop titled 'Risk, resilience and robustness of dynamic supply networks; bridging mathematical models and practice' Jan 11, 2017 - Jan 13, 2017, in International Centre for Mathematical Sciences, Edinburgh, UK.
- Nagarajan, M and Anderson, B., (2016). "Estimating Scenarios for Domestic water demand under drought conditions in the UK: Application of an Agent-Based Microsimulation Model". European meeting of the International Microsimulation Association, Budapest, Hungary, 22-23 September 2016.
- Nagarajan, M and Anderson, B., (2016). "Estimation of regional domestic water demand: A behavioural simulation approach", Royal Councils UK First Annual Drought and Water Scarcity conference, St. Anne's college, University of Oxford, 27-28 June 2016.
- Nagarajan, M, Bahaj, A.B., Anderson, B., and James, P., (2016), "SAVE: Solent Achieving Value from Efficiency", A poster presentation during Energy Partnership meeting, Southampton City Council, on 16 June 2016, University of Southampton.
- Nagarajan, M, Bahaj, A.B., and Anderson, B. (2016) “Big Data Big Insights: Data-Driven Energy efficiency”, International workshop on sustainable energy & ecosystems (1-5 Feb 2016), Univ. of San Carlos, Philippines, funded by British Council’s Newton Fund.
- Nagarajan, M (2014), “Socio-economic perspectives of Global warming impact in Goa”, A presentation as invited panellist for UNEP-World Environment day celebrations (5-Jun-2014), organised by the state pollution control board, Government of Goa, India.
- Nagarajan, M (2011), “Integrated modelling approach for mass evacuation planning of a city”, 18th research methodology workshop for manufacturing and technology management, Institute for Manufacturing, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Nagarajan, M., Shaw, D., and Albores, P., (2010), “Public shelter allocation during mass evacuation: An Excel based tool”, International Conference on Emergency Preparedness (InterCEPt), 21-23 September 2010, Birmingham UK.
- Nagarajan, M., Albores, P., and Shaw, D., (2010), “Planning for warning dissemination during mass evacuation using an agent-based model”, International Conference on Emergency Preparedness (InterCEPt), 21-23 September 2010, Birmingham UK.
- Nagarajan, M., Albores, P., and Shaw, D., (2010), “A simulation model for testing transport plans to support large scale evacuation”, International Conference on Emergency Preparedness (InterCEPt), 21-23 September 2010, Birmingham UK.
- Albores, P., Liu, Y., Shaw, D., and Nagarajan, M. (2010), “Preparedness for shelter operations management using Discrete Event Simulation or Mass Evacuation: A Tale of four Models”,21th Annual conference of the Production and Operations management Society (POMS), 7-10 May-2010, Vancouver, Canada.
- Nagarajan, M., Shaw, D., and Albores, P (2009) “A simulation model for measuring the effectiveness of warning message dissemination”, First International Conference on Evacuation Modelling and Management, 23-25 September-2009, The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Nagarajan, M., Albores, P., and Shaw, D (2009) “Simulation model to measure the effectiveness of evacuation warning message dissemination”, POMS, 20th Annual conference, 1-4 May-2009, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Nagarajan, M (2002) “A Linear Programming model for Waste load allocation in streams – A case study “,Proceedings of the National Conference on Water Resources and Ocean Engineering (HYDRO 2002), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India, Dec. 16-17, 2002, pp. 416-419.
- Nagarajan, M (2002) "Development Fuzzy Logic Control for Manimuthar Reservoir “, AMPRECOM - 2002, on 13th Jan 2002, at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India – Consolation Prize
- Operational Research
- Business Analytics
- Multi-criteria decision making
- Simulation (Discrete Event Simulation, ABM and Systems Dynamics)
- Decision Support Systems
In Previous Institutions
UG final project – 17 (BSc Business Information Technology, Computing)
PG final project – 8 (MSc Management Information Systems, MSc IT for Management)
- Involved in revision of State Disaster Management Plan (Goa)
Peer Reviewer For Journals
- Energy Policy (Elsevier)
- Operational Research – An International Journal (Springer)
- Annals of Operations Research (Springer)
- Energies (MDPI)
- Geosciences (MDPI)
- Information (MDPI)