This document describes the admission process, including the shortlisting and selection criteria for the Ph.D. programe batch of 2023-27 at the Indian Institute of Management Nagpur (IIM Nagpur).
- Objective: To seek, develop, and foster contextually relevant and socially conscious academicians and researchers seeking thought leadership in management fields.
- Duration: The program duration will be four years. The initial two years will be coursework leading to a comprehensive assessment. Afterward, participants undertake the thesis work for the remaining duration under the supervision of an advisory committee. An extension of up to one year is possible with a recommendation of the Dissertation Advisory Committee (DAC) chair and upon approval by the programe Executive Committee (EC). However, no stipend will be provided during the extended term beyond four years unless approved by the programe EC in consultation with the Director.
- Degree name at the completion: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
1.1.Areas of Specializations
The following academic areas will be offering Ph.D. for the batch of 2023-27:
- Decision Science and Information Systems (DSIS)
- Economics (ECO)
- Finance and Accounting (F&A)
- Marketing (MAR)
- Organizational Behaviour And Human Resources Management (OB &HR)
- Production and Operations Management (POM)
- Strategy and Entrepreneurship (S&E)
- Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (HASS)
1.2. Admission Notice
The admission notice for Ph.D. Programme at IIM Nagpur will be posted on the IIMN website, i.e., www.iimnagpur.ac.in
A candidate should qualify for any one of the following educational qualifications*:
- Master’s degree (two years following the 10+2+3 or 10+2+4 system of education) with a minimum of 60% or equivalent marks.
- Post-graduate diploma in management (two years following the 10+2+3 or 10+2+4 system of education) of two years in duration passed with at least 60% or equivalent marks
- Professional qualification – CA/ICWA/CS with (with at least 50 % aggregate marks) along with a Bachelor’s degree exam passed with a minimum of 60% or equivalent marks
- A five-year integrated Master’s degree (five years following the 10+2 system of education) program in any discipline, with at least 60 % aggregate or equivalent marks
- A 4 year / 8 semesters Bachelor’s degree (10+2+4 system of education) with a minimum of 85% or equivalent marks
The Master’s degree or equivalent qualification/Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification should be:
(a) from any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956 or,
(b) recognized by the Ministry of Education, Government of India or,
(c) possess an equivalent qualification from an institution approved by AICTE.
*Candidates who are in the final year of their Master’s/Bachelor’s Programmes that would make them eligible can also apply. Such candidates, if selected, will be allowed to join the programme provisionally only if they submit a certificate latest by 31st May 2023 from the Principal/Head of the Department/Registrar or Director of the university/institute (issued on or before 31st May 2023) stating that they have appeared for the examinations (including practical examinations) in all the subjects required for obtaining the Master’s/Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification. Further, such candidates should fulfil the eligibility criteria otherwise in terms of aggregate marks scored in the qualifying programme except for the receipt of the final marks in the qualifying exam. Their admission will be confirmed after they submit the mark sheets and a certificate of having passed the Master/Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification referred to in the certificate issued by the Principal/Registrar of their college/institute. The deadline for submission of the mark sheet and the certificate is 31st December 2023. Non-fulfilment of these conditions and the minimum qualifications for eligibility will automatically result in the cancellation of the provisional admission.
Candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PWD categories will get a relaxation of 5% or equivalent for the minimum qualifying marks mentioned above.
Reservations will be applicable as per the Government of India norms.
2.2 Screening examination
Applicants will need at least one of the following test scores to apply for Ph.D. (2023-27) at IIM Nagpur based on the area they are applying to. Screening examination scores would be accepted for application to Ph.D. Programme if the exam has been taken any time in the last two years (1st January 2021 onwards)
|1||DSIS||CAT, GMAT, GRE, GATE, UGC-NET, and UGC-JRF|
|2||ECO||CAT / GMAT / GRE / UGC-NET (Economics)|
|3||F&A||CAT, GMAT, GRE, UGC-JRF(Commerce/Finance/Management), GATE|
|5||OB & HR||CAT, GMAT, GRE, UGC-NET, UGC-JRF or CSIR–JRF, CSIR-NET (any discipline)|
|6||POM||CAT, GMAT, GRE, GATE, UGC-NET and UGC-JRF|
|7||S&E||CAT, GMAT, GRE, UGC-JRF (any discipline)|
|8||HASS||CAT, GMAT, GRE, UGC-NET and UGC-JRF|
Applicants will be screened based on overall scores/percentiles/percentage as decided by the Areas. Candidates belonging to NC-OBC and EWS categories will get a relaxation of 5 percentile/percentage on minimum qualifying overall cut-offs decided by the area. Candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PWD categories will get a relaxation of 10 percentile/percentage.
PGP (Full-time) alumni of any IIM who have graduated within the past three years will get a waiver from appearing for the screening examinations provided they have graduated with a minimum CGPA equivalent to 60%. For example, for 2023 Ph.D. admissions, candidates who have graduated from any IIM during 2020,2021,2022, or 2023 would be considered for the waiver. Candidates who are in the final year of their post-graduate programme at IIMs would be eligible, provided that their CGPA at the time of application is equivalent to at least 60%. Non-fulfilment of these conditions and the minimum qualifications for eligibility will automatically result in the cancellation of the provisional admission
2.3 Admission Process
The admission process at IIM Nagpur for the batch of 2023-27 will be carried out over various stages. The details are mentioned in the following sections:
2.3.1 Stages in the process
Candidates are invited to fill a detailed application form within a stipulated date (see IIM Nagpur website for the important dates and latest updates). Candidates who apply for the Ph.D. admission process at IIM Nagpur will be first screened for the requirements and eligibility, as mentioned in section 2.1
Only those candidates who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered for preparing the shortlist for PIs. The shortlisted candidates will be informed by email.
Candidates who accept the email invitation for PI will be called for interviews. All the candidates called for PI will have to attend area-led PI followed by programme-led PI. In case a candidate has applied for two areas of specialization, he/she has to attend the interview for each Area.
Candidates who appear for the PI will be considered for this stage. Admission offers will be sent to the successful candidates.
NOTE: The admission interviews will be online or face-to-face, depending upon the health advisory issued by the authorities at that time.
2.3.2 Offer and Admission
The selected candidates will receive a provisional admission offer from IIM Nagpur by email. The candidate has to deposit a commitment fee of INR 50,000 to confirm the acceptance of the offer. An amount of INR 20,000 will be refunded after two years of completion of the programme by the candidate. The remaining INR 30,000 will be refunded after the completion of the programme.
Candidates selected for admission are required to attend the preparatory course as advised by the Area/ Programme Committee.
2.3.3 Application Procedure
22.214.171.124 How to apply
Interested candidates will have to apply online by clicking on the following link: https://excutivephdadmission.iimnagpur.ac.in/.
Candidates can fill-up the application form online. A candidate can apply for a maximum of two areas of specialization. The application fee is INR 1,000 for applying to a single area and INR 1,500 for applying to two areas.
126.96.36.199 Documents to be uploaded
All related documents, as mentioned below, will have to be uploaded as per the instructions while filling in the online application form.
- Copy of the latest exam score certificate
- Attested copy of all academic mark-sheets/certificates and Degree of Graduation/ Post Graduation
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Documents related to the work experience (if applicable)
- Documents related to research/academic output (if applicable)
2.3.4 Withdrawal and Cancellation Process
The withdrawal/cancellation of admission offer can happen in multiple ways:
- a. The admission of a candidate stands cancelled if he/she provides any false information at any step in the admissions process.
- b. A candidate can request a withdrawal from the programe by a stipulated date mentioned in the offer letter. In that case, an amount of INR 49,000 will be refunded after a deduction of INR 1,000 towards administrative processing charges.
- c. In case a candidate requests withdrawal from the programe after the last date for withdrawal is over, no refund will be made.
- d. If a candidate withdraws in the middle of the programe or leaves it incomplete, the commitment fee with the Institute till that date will be forfeited.
- Mere fulfilment of qualifications does not entitle a candidate to be shortlisted. The Institute reserves the right to restrict the candidates to be called for the selection process to a reasonable number based on relevant criteria, higher than the minimum prescribed.
- Any exceptions shall be subject to the discretion of the Ph.D. Office/Chairperson and the Director of the institution.
- All or any dispute/s or differences arising out of admission process/ procedure, withdrawal, admission policy, admission cancellation procedure, cancellation policies, refund policies shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Courts/ Forums/Commission at Nagpur alone.
- Any dispute concerning admissions to the Ph.D. Batch of 2023-27 would be subject to the jurisdiction of the competent courts within the territorial jurisdiction of the city of Nagpur, Maharashtra only.
- IIM Nagpur is established as an autonomous institute sets its own policies and governed by IIM Act 2017.
Note: IIM Nagpur reserves the right to change the Shortlisting and Selection Criteria as deemed necessary.