This document describes the admission process, including the shortlisting and selection criteria for the Ph.D. (Executive) programme batch starting in 2022 at the Indian Institute of Management Nagpur (IIM Nagpur).
It is a doctoral programme in management for working business executives who are inclined to gain profound understanding of management research and contribute to management theory and practice. This programme will provide participants with rigourous training in various areas of management research and help them undertake high quality interdisciplinary research.
- Duration: The participants are expected to complete the programme within four to six years. The initial six months of coursework will be followed by a comprehensive assessment before participants will undertake the thesis work for the remaining duration under the supervision of an Dissertation Advisory Committee (DAC). Participants are expected to submit their thesis by the end of the fourth academic year. If a participant does not complete the dissertation by the end of the sixth academic year, he/she may be allowed to register for one additional year, only on the recommendation of his/her DAC Chair and Ph.D. Programme Chairperson.
- Degree name at the completion: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
1.1. Areas of Specializations
The following academic areas will be offering Ph.D. for the batch of 2022-26:
- Decision Science and Information Systems (DSIS)
- Economics (ECO)
- Finance and Accounting (F&A)
- Marketing (MAR)
- Organizational Behaviour And Human Resources Management (OB &HR)
- Production and Operations Management (POM)
- Strategy and Entrepreneurship (S&E)
- Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (HASS)
1.2. Admission Notice
The admission notice for Ph.D. (Executive) Programme at IIM Nagpur will be posted on the IIMN website, i.e., www.iimnagpur.ac.in
2.1 Eligibility Criteria
2.1.1. Academic Eligibility
A candidate should qualify for any one of the following educational qualifications*:
- Professional qualification – CA/ICWA/CS (with at least 50 percent aggregate marks) along with a Bachelor’s degree exam passed with minimum 55% marks or equivalent
- B Tech/BE /B. Pharm or any other four year Bachelor’s degree with 60% marks or equivalent
- MBBS/B. Arch or any other five year Bachelor’s degree with 55% marks or equivalent
- M. Tech/MBA/M.Com or any other Master’s degree programme with 55% marks or equivalent
The Master’s degree or equivalent qualification/Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification should be:
(a) from any of the Universities incorporated by an act of the central or state legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956 or,
(b) recognized by the Ministry of Education, Government of India or,
(c) possess an equivalent qualification from an institution approved by AICTE.
2.1.2. Work Experience Eligibility
A minimum of ten years of post-qualification (mentioned above in section 2.1.1) managerial/ entrepreneurial/ professional experience as of 31st March 2022 is desirable. Work experience after completion of the bachelor’s degree/professional qualification will be considered.
The total number of months of work experience completed (as of 31st March 2022) will be considered. Only full-time and paid experience after completion of graduation/professional qualification will be considered. Part-time/Project/Internship/CA Articleship/Apprenticeship/Pre-graduation work experience/ work experience which involves payment as stipend will not be counted as work experience. For work experience in multiple organizations, all the durations (months and days) will be added to arrive at the total experience. For example, if the total work experience is 13 months and 25 days, it will be considered 13 months. A valid proof of the date of appointment, work experience certificate, and proof of payment/salary will have to be submitted at the time of registration for the program.
For candidates having work experience in the family business or own business venture, valid proofs of the existence of the business, association, and role of the individual in the business and proof of payment during work experience will be required. It will be the candidate’s responsibility to provide documents as and when required by the Admissions Office.
NOTE: It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure that they are available for the coursework. If this requires a clearance/approval from the employer, the candidate is expected to obtain such clearance/approval.
3. Admission Process
The admission process at IIM Nagpur for the Ph.D. (Executive) batch starting in 2022 will be carried out over various stages. The details are mentioned in the following sections:
3.1 Stages in the process
Candidates will be invited to fill a detailed application form within a stipulated date (see IIM Nagpur website for the important dates and latest updates). Candidates who apply for the Ph.D. (Executive) admission process at IIM Nagpur will be first screened for the requirements and eligibility, as mentioned in section 2.1.
Only those candidates who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered for preparing the shortlist for PIs. The shortlisted candidates will be informed by email.
Candidates who accept the invitation for PI will be called for interviews. All the candidates called for PI will have to attend an area-led PI followed by programme-led PI. In case a candidate has applied for two areas of specialization, he/she has to attend the interview for each Area.
Candidates who appear for the PI will be considered for this stage. Admission offers will be sent to the successful candidates.
NOTE: The admission interviews will be online or face-to-face, depending upon the health advisory issued by the authorities at that time.
3.1.2. Offer and Admission Process
The selected candidates will receive a provisional admission offer from IIM Nagpur by email. The candidate has to deposit a commitment fee of INR 50,000 to confirm the acceptance of the offer. This amount will be adjusted towards the first-year programme fee of INR 1,50,000, which candidate has to pay at the time of registration. The candidate also has to pay one-time caution deposit of Rs 50,000.
3.1.3 How to apply
Interested candidates will have to apply online through the Institute website. Please click here to apply.
Candidates can fill-up the application form online. A candidate can apply for a maximum of two areas of specialization. The application fee is INR 2,000 for applying to a single area and INR 3,000 for applying to two areas.
4. Documents to be uploaded
All related documents, as mentioned below, will have to be uploaded as per the instructions while filling in the online application form.
- Attested copy of all academic mark-sheets/certificates and Degree of Graduation/ Post Graduation
- Documents related to the work experience (if applicable)
- Documents related to research/academic output (if applicable)
4.1 Withdrawal and Cancellation Process
The withdrawal/cancellation of admission offer can happen in multiple ways:
a) Before Year 1 Registration:
1. Once the offer acceptance fee is received by the stipulated date (mentioned in the offer email), the provisional admission offer stands. If payment is not received by the stipulated date, the provisional admission will be cancelled.
2. If a candidate pays the offer acceptance fees but still wants to withdraw, he/she may do so by sending an email to the Admission Office by a stipulated date (offer acceptance fee withdrawal deadline mentioned in the offer letter/mail). We will then initiate a refund process. The refund of the offer acceptance fees deposited (after deducting an administrative charge of Rs.1,000) will be done in the next one month.
3. If a candidate pays the offer acceptance fees but fails to withdraw within a stipulated date (offer acceptance fee withdrawal deadline mentioned in the offer letter/mail) or fails to register for the programme, the entire amount of the offer acceptance fees paid will be forfeited. No refund will be made in case of withdrawal after the offer acceptance fee withdrawal deadline.
4. The admission will stand cancelled if a candidate does not register at IIM Nagpur on the mentioned date and time for the registration.
5. Candidates have to pay the remaining amount of the Year 1 fee before the registration. The deadline for the same will be communicated to candidates who have accepted the offer. If the Year 1 fee payment is not received by the stipulated date (Year 1 fee payment deadline), the provisional admission will be cancelled.
6. If a candidate has paid the remaining amount of the Year 1 fee and wants to withdraw from the programme before the offer acceptance fee withdrawal deadline, the amount (offer acceptance and the Year 1 fee) will be refunded after deducting the administrative charge of Rs 1,000.
7. If a candidate has paid the remaining amount of the Year 1 fee and wants to withdraw from the programme after the offer acceptance fee withdrawal deadline, but before the Year 1 fee payment deadline, the amount will be refunded after deducting the offer acceptance fee of Rs 50,000.
8. If a candidate has paid the remaining Year 1 fee and wants to withdraw from the programme after the Year 1 fee payment deadline, NO amount will be refunded.
b) After registration:
1. Year 1 will start with the registration and inauguration of the programme. Fees will be collected before the registration for Term 1 and at the beginning of each term later. If a candidate withdraws from the programme in any term after registration (in the middle of a term), all the fees paid till then will be forfeited, regardless of the number of days remaining in the term, and his/her admission shall stand cancelled.
c) Providing incorrect information:
The admission of a candidate stands cancelled if he/she provides any false information at any step in the admissions process. No claim for refund of the fee paid till then will be entertained.
- Mere fulfilment of qualifications does not entitle a candidate to be shortlisted. The Institute reserves the right to restrict the candidates to be called for the selection process to a reasonable number based on relevant criteria, higher than the minimum prescribed.
- Any exceptions shall be subject to the discretion of the Ph.D. Office/Chairperson and the Director of the institution.
IIM Nagpur reserves the right to change the Shortlisting and Selection Criteria as deemed necessary.